VERNet designs, builds, operates and manages a network that enables educators, researchers and students to exchange ideas and communicate faster. The network is the Victorian Education and Research Network (VERN).
VERNet is the preferred supplier of high bandwidth connectivity to the research and education sector in Victoria providing customers with leading edge technology and services for the best value for money.
Facts about VERNet...
- Gigabit network up to 100Gbps
- Established in 2004
- Current carrier licence under the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth)
- Company founders and current shareholders are the nine Victorian universities and the CSIRO
- Over 248 university and CSIRO services connected to the VERN including 28 hospitals
- Fibre optic cable network spanning over 2300km across Victoria
- Dedicated high speed research network up to 10Gbps connecting five major Victorian research precincts
- Provider of high speed Layer 1, 2 and 3 services
- CONTRIBUTE TO VICTORIA’S SUCCESS
VERNet is one of only two incorporated regional research and education networks in Australia and the operator of the only dedicated research network in the country. We focus on enabling Victorian institutions to achieve their full potential.
- OPEN UP ACCESS TO REGIONAL AREAS
VERNet provides a number of regional communities with gigabit services previously only available in metro areas. In some parts of Victoria, VERNet is the only alternative to the incumbent and provides bandwidth at a fraction of the commercial market’s cost.
- PARTNER WITH THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY
VERNet has built a number of important partnerships with the telecommunications industry.
Co-building, particularly to regional areas, has delivered significant savings to the sector and provided long-term scalable capacity to a number of related parties.
- PROVIDE ACCESS TO RESEARCH AND EDUCATION COMMUNITIES AROUND THE WORLD
VERNet currently enables its customers to access national and international services through the national carrier, AARNet. We strive to improve the way our customers access the rest of the world through partnerships with the research and education community.
- SAVE OUR MEMBERS COST AND TIME
VERNet leverages the buying power of the organisation to deliver significant cost savings to each and every customer. The scalable nature of the network ensures that the marginal cost to members of provisioning new services is extremely low. Time to market is significantly shorter with no need to enter into new contracts for additional services.
- PROVIDE ACCESS TO LEADING-EDGE TECHNOLOGY
VERNet was the first research and education network in Australia to offer members 100Gbps connectivity and continues to offer members the best technology available from around the world.